Meteora Hike with Transport from Kalambaka
Explore Meteora on a gentle-paced hike, and discover the little-known trails that many day-trippers to the UNESCO World Heritage site don’t get to see. On a round-trip route from the Doupiani rock to the heady heights of Grand Meteora Monastery, pass some of the smaller rock monasteries such as Ypapanti and learn about Meteora’s intriguing rock formations and history.
• You will go to secret local spots that the vast majority of other travelers will never experience.
• Visit the Great Meteoro Monastery and the hidden monastery of Ypapanti and avoid the crowds.
• You will learn about the culture and history of the place on a deeper level and from a local’s perspective.
• You will learn about etiquette and behavior (especially important at religious sites).
• Daily departures depart any day you want, 365 days a year
• You get to meet people from around the world
• Small size groups up to 12 pax.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off to/from Kalambaka or Kastraki
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local English speaking mountain guide
- Bottled water
- local snacks
- Visit the hidden monastery of Ypapanti
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees (approx. 3 euros each)
- Entry/Admission - Meteora
- Entry/Admission - Great Meteoron Monastery
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Meteora, Kastraki, Kalambaka 422 00 Greece
Meteora is an area that covers few square kilometers, where an ancient monastic community and a rare geological phenomenon of huge rock pillars coexist in absolute harmony. Located at the northwest tip of the plain of Thessaly, Meteora today has become one of the most popular destinations of mainland Greece. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site, an archeological site and an officially declared holy place! At the foothills of the rocks, there are 2 settlements, the town of Kalabaka and the village of Kastraki.
Stop At: Meteora, Kastraki, Kalambaka 422 00 Greece
Hike through the majestic 'rock forest' of Meteora, see the best monasteries and experience the most captivating views on this morning tour. The Meteora Hiking Tour is one of the best ways to enjoy this unique geological phenomenon and to learn the history of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. By joining this morning hike you will walk through hidden trails that only locals know. Let us take you on a journey back in time following the footsteps of the first monks who arrived here more than 15 centuries ago. Join this amazing guided hiking tour and walk among the gigantic rock pillars of Meteora to enjoy truly breathtaking views.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Great Meteoron Monastery, Eparhiacos dromos Meteoron, Kalambaka 42200 Greece
The Great Meteoron Monastery is the biggest and oldest one of all. It was called the monastery that was “suspended in the air” (meteoro), because of the formation of the gigantic rock on top of which it was built.
The Great Meteoro Monastery was founded by Saint Athanasios the Meteorite who was the first founder of the monastery and the organizer of the systematic koenovion. For this reason, the foundation of this monastery is considered to be a turning point, or even better, the beginning of the organized monastisicm in Holy Meteora. Hosios Athanasios was born around 1302 in the medieval town of New Patras, today’s Hypati and his lay name was Andronikos.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ypapanti old monastery, Meteoron, Kalampaka 422 00, Greece
Fully constructed inside a large cavity of a rock, this monastery is very indicative of its kind, compared to the ones that are usually seen on the peaks of rocks. A monk under the name of Nilos, in the year 1367 AD, along with another monk named Cyprianus became the founders and the owners of the monastery. It was destroyed in 1809, when the local rebel and hero Papathymios Vlahavas was arrested here by the Turkish army of Ali Pasha. The pathway to this monastery is a very simple and pleasant one.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Varlaam Monastery, Kalambaka Greece
he Holy Monastery of Varlaam is the second biggest monastery. It is located opposite of the Great Meteoro Monastery and it was founded in the mid 14th century by the exercitant Hosios Varlaam.
The elegant monastery Catholicon was built in the honour of Agioi Pantes in 1541-42, by two brothers from Ioannina, the priest-monks Hosioi Theophanes and Nectarios the Apsarades. The main church was decorated in 1548. Based on stylistic criteria, this magnificent wall-painting is attributed to the famous hagiographer from Thebes, Frago Catelano.
Pass By: Agios Nikolaos Anapaphsas, Kalambaka Greece
The Holy Monastery of Saint Nicholas of Anapafsas is the first Monastery that we encounter on our way to the Holy Meteora and was founded at the end of the 14th century.
For the name Anapafsas there are numerous interpretations two of which are the most popular. The first one is that the name Anapafsas was attributed by one of the monastery’s benefactors, while the second explanation has to do with the monastery’s position being the first to be encountered on the way up and probably served to the pilgrims and other visitors as a resting place before continuing on.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We do offer pick up and drop off from all the hotels that are located at Kalambaka and Kastraki village. We do not offer pick up from airbnb's
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Please bring comfortable and appropriate hiking shoes
- This tour requires customers to be physically fit
- The monasteries have a strict dress code: men must wear trousers and long sleeves, women must wear a long skirt. If you do turn up in shorts, trousers and skirts will be provided.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Due to the current COVID situation, all Monasteries of Meteora will no longer be providing skirts and shawls at the entrances. Sleeveless clothing and shorts over the knee for men are prohibited and you‘ll be denied access if dressed that way. For ladies skirts below the knee are required.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.