Private Tour - Ogawamachi: The Land of Washi Paper and Sake Brewing
[Private Tour] Visit the historic town of Ogawamachi, also known as "Small Kyoto".
Learn about traditional Japanese paper; washi and Japanese sake in Ogawamachi, a town built around a river, roughly an hour away from central Tokyo. Ogawa, meaning small river, is where the name of this town comes from, and the water of this river is what is used in creating Ogawamachi's washi and sake.
The creation process of washi in this town is registered as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage, and on this tour you will get the chance to try it yourself! You will also visit a sake brewing factory and a 100% locally produced and consumed craft beer shop where you can taste local drinks.
Make sure to explore the old back streets of Ogawamachi that have stayed unchanged for centuries!
What's included :
- Tour Guide
- Private tour
- Necessary expenses for the tour guide
What's excluded :
- Travel expenses and entrance fees for your own
- Money for food/drinks, souvenirs and extra activities for your own
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- The use of private van
- Entry/Admission - Saitama traditional crafts Hall
- Entry/Admission - 麦雑穀工房
Stop At: Saitama traditional crafts Hall, 1220 Ogawa, Hiki District, Saitama 355-0321, Japan
See 30 traditional crafts of Saitama Prefecture at this craft center. You can also experience Japanese traditional paper making here.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: 株式会社 門倉商店, 1169-1 Ōtsuka, Ogawa, Hiki District, Saitama 355-0328, Japan
・Kadokura Japanese Paper: Visit the long-established paper shop that creates paper that has been registered as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Musashitsuru Brewery, 243 Otsuka, Ogawa-machi, Hiki-gun 355-0328 Saitama Prefecture
One of the three sake breweries in Ogawamachi. It is a small brewery that swears by the traditional brewing method to create the unchanging taste of sake.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Seiun Shuzo Co., Ltd., 178-2 Ōtsuka, Ogawa, Hiki District, Saitama 355-0328, Japan
・Seiun Sake Brewery: A company that uses local water and local paper in producing sake.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Tochimoto Shinsui Park, 948 Aoyama, Ogawa-machi, Hiki-gun 355-0324 Saitama Prefecture
Visit the beautiful river that created and supported Ogawamachi's sake and paper industry.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: 麦雑穀工房, ８８-6 Ōtsuka, Ogawa, Hiki District, Saitama 355-0328, Japan
・Mugi Zakkoku Kobo Micro Brewery: Try their 100% wheat and hops beer. The wheat and hops are grown organically.
Duration: 50 minutes
Departure Point :Ogawamachi Station, Otsuka, Ogawa, Hiki District, Saitama 355-0328, Japan
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Please come in comfortable clothing, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
- Please note that anyone can visit the sake brewery, but you must be older than the Japanese drinking age; 20, to be able to taste the sake.
- On Tuesdays Mugi Zakkoku Kobo Micro Brewery, and Tuesdays and Wednesdays Kadokura Japanese Paper is closed. If any of the scheduled places are closed on the day you visit, your tour guide will take you to an alternative location.
- The paper you make must be dried before it is ready to be taken home. Once it has dried, the workshop will send it to you. Please note, however, that the paper can only be sent to a Japanese address, so make sure that you book the tour at least four days before you leave Japan.
- eg. If you are planning on checking out of your accommodation on the 20th January, you must book the tour for the 16th January at the latest. Depending on the weather conditions, it can take longer for the paper to be sent to you, so it is recommended that you book the tour well before the date you return to your country.
- The travel expense is not included in the tour fee. Please bring extra money to experience this tour to its fullest. (Entrance fees, transportation fees, activity fees, etc. - at least about JPY 1000)
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- If you do not arrive at the specified starting place after 60 minutes from the agreed meeting time, the tour will be considered canceled.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands